Saturday, April 27, 2013

Famous in a small town.....

So I am extremely late on the missionary update this week - sorry!  It is so exciting to have so many young people that I love serving the Lord right now!! I pray for each of them, their families, and those who are seeking the gospel.  What an exciting time!
 
In my email from Elder Packham this week he let me know that he is famous in a small town! LOL - ok, he didn't say it like that but let's face it, I have seen the stats on Thompson Falls and Plains, MT and they are DEFINETLY small towns!  Apparently he was in the paper for helping with service in Thompson Falls. I think service is such a great way for the missionaries to get involved in the community!  Here is what he said:

       "We've been doing a lot of service tracting which has helped.  The other day we took windex and paper towels and went down main street cleaning windows for businesses and people's cars."

I know that when we serve others with no intent of receiving anything back - the blessings flow.  I have seen it in my own life.  I also know that sometimes when we are serving others that they feel like we must have alternative motives.  It is all about softening hearts. Good job Elder Packham!  I  think it is great that they are getting out in the community and being seen doing good works.

In my mind I was thinking that Elder Packham and Elder Ashcroft had a baptism scheduled for today, Saturday, but I guess I was wrong.  Here is what Jake said:

       "Everything is going great and so is the work.  We have a baptism this next Thursday and have 2 others committeed.  We are wroking on 2 more but their conversion might take a bit longer.  Hopefully we'll have 4 more baptisms soon."

Jake gave me some great advice for my calling and I really think that it can be applied to us all in our relationships with others ~ so I am sharing, Take Notes!

       "Keep trying! Don't get discouraged! Missionary work is a commandment. I mean think about it, we covenant to take upon ourselves the name of Christ.  So even if we aren't openly sharing the gospel by mouth we need to be examples to the nonbelievers.  You're doing a great work mom and you'll be blessed.  Pray for inspiration and guidance as you make phone calls. Pray before you call and pray for people daily.  Take a few less active members and pray for them each week.  Stop by their house.  Randomly call them and tell them they're loved.  It may be weird at first, but that shouldn't matter.  I love you.  You'll find success as you continue the work.  Not everyone will come back at once.  But if you can get that one reactivation that's a huge deal.  Each child is precious in the sight of God. Don't give up."

And last but not least.... I decided this blog post would not be complete without an update on Jake's new healthy lifestyle.  I still have no idea how he can afford to buy all natural foods on a missionary budget.  Anyway - this is what he said:

       "I've lost almost 10 lbs now with me eating healthy (:  It works! I feel better than I ever have in my life and I'm not working out every day like I used to.  Weird but true."

I am really proud of Elder Packham  He wrote me a letter this week and even though I am not home, Alex read it to me. It was awesome.  He called me Momma-Bear... I love that!!!

The scripture I want to share this week is this:
  

IN the gospel of Jesus Christ you have help from both sides of the veil, and you must never forget that. When disappointment and discouragement strike—and they will—you remember and never forget that if our eyes could be opened we would see horses and chariots of fire as far as the eye can see riding at reckless speed to come to our protection [see 2 Kgs. 6:16–17]. They will always be there, these armies of heaven, in defense of Abraham's seed.

—Jeffrey R. Holland, "For Times of Trouble," Devotional Address, March 18, 1980

No comments:

Post a Comment