Friday, April 18, 2014

I just hit 14! Can you believe it?! 10 more... Not cool man not cool

April 7th Update

Haha - he is so funny!!!  It does my heart good to know that he is loving where he is at in his life.  I have seen him grow so much over the last 14 months - sometimes it is hard for me to believe how much he has changed.  For those of you who know Jake well, you will understand what I mean when you read this next thing he shared.

I'm grateful for the conference talks. I have this journal that is for meetings-It has general conference, district meetings, mission leadership councils, zone conferences, zone trainings, etc. I have it color coded as well. I have one of those mini pens that has all those colors on it! If it's green It's something that I wrote that will apply specifically to me in the future, for example something about parenting, a thought provoking questions, etc. If it is blue it applies to me right then and now with whatever calling I'm in (Now looking back on these will be a source of inspiration as well.) And if it's black it's just general statements that apply always or just little notes. If it's red then it's a scripture or a source of reference, for example, pmg, the bible, the bom, books people have written etc. I have loved looking back on this journal! It's incredible and I'm so thankful that I was inspired to color code it as I sat in Mission leadership council 6 weeks ago. 
Did he seriously say he is color coding things?!!?!  I LOVE IT!!!!!  As I said, it does my heart good.  I actually have taken his suggestion and I am using it as well.  He is brilliant! haha - but don't tell him that!

He has now been a Zone leader for 5 months. I think it has been a heavy load to carry but he is doing well.  For me, I think being a leader is hard. In my own experience there is always someone who is not happy with your decisions.

So conference - I love Conference!!! I made some goals for myself. It was terrific!  But I want to share one talk with you that was really poignant with me.  It was by President Uchtdorf and titled: Grateful in Any Circumstance.


It was really quite wise and touched my heart.  Here are the words to the beginning of his talk:

Over the years, I have had the sacred opportunity to meet with many people whose sorrows seem to reach the very depths of their soul. In these moments, I have listened to my beloved brothers and sisters and grieved with them over their burdens. I have pondered what to say to them, and I have struggled to know how to comfort and support them in their trials.
 Often their grief is caused by what seems to them as an ending. Some are facing the end of a cherished relationship, such as the death of a loved one or estrangement from a family member. Others feel they are facing the end of hope—the hope of being married or bearing children or overcoming an illness. Others may be facing the end of their faith, as confusing and conflicting voices in the world tempt them to question, even abandon, what they once knew to be true.
 Sooner or later, I believe that all of us experience times when the very fabric of our world tears at the seams, leaving us feeling alone, frustrated, and adrift.
 It can happen to anyone. No one is immune.

I have always felt that Jacob is blessed to love others and I pray that he is able to help those he meets and comes in contact with to know that they can find Joy in the Journey. 

It is really hard to choose just one or two conference talks to share because they were all so important to me in different ways.  If I could leave one more with you today it would be this one by Elder W. Craig Zwick called, "What Are You Thinking?"


He, too, gave me much to think about. One of the most important was this:
The willingness to see through each other’s eyes will transform “corrupt communication” into “minister[ing] grace.” The Apostle Paul understood this, and on some level each of us can experience it too. It may not change or solve the problem, but the more important possibility may be whether ministering grace could change us.

Sometimes it is too easy to be upset at others without even looking at things through their eyes.  All of us could do to be a little more patient and understanding with one another.  I had asked Elder Packham if he had a favorite talk and he said that he couldn't choose just one.  I completely understand.  So here are the goals I set for myself after watching conference:

-continue daily scripture study          
- be more grateful-strive to make it a disposition
-work on my marriage - always          
-study & use preach my gospel- incl. in letters to missionary
-let my faith show more                    
- follow impressions from the Holy Ghost
-spend 1 hour a week on family history

Love you all - Sandi



No comments:

Post a Comment